Pages

Thursday, June 13, 2013

In The Aftermath of a Huge Storm



This morning I was woken up by what sounded like a freight train in my front yard.  I might have used some choice words when I peeked out my window and saw the enormity of our storm.  Not sure if it was a tornado, I grabbed my clothes and got dressed in the hallway.  Satisfied I wasn't going to be picked up and flown to Oz anytime soon, I took my phone to the patio door to have photographic evidence.  By that time it was hailing.  And I mean Hailing with a capital H!  Golf ball to baseball sized hail was pouring down.  I have never seen hail that big, strong or fast.  Looking out the kitchen window I realized that the roof to the turkey hutch had been blown off.  As soon as it was safe enough for me to go outside I did just that.  I donned my raincoat and went to see if any turkeys had survived.  The poor souls... Two of the three were alive but soaked and not looking good.  One turkey didn't survive.  I am guessing the hail killed him.  I hope it was quick and he didn't suffer too much.  I quickly put the surviving two in the barn with the smaller turkeys under a heat lamp.  Now, hours later they are looking quite content although I am sure their skin is bruised.  The worst of the storm was over by 10 am and we have had lingering strong winds and rain all day.  Tomorrow is predicted to be more of the same.





I am incredibly thankful that we only sustained minor damage.  My truck is extremely dented, but that's nothing a body shop can't fix.  We only lost one turkey and although I am saddened I realize it could have been worse.  The goats seemed unaffected, and the dogs snored through the entire ordeal.  There have been breaks in the storm that produced gorgeous sunsets and rainbows.  Storms like this remind us of our place in the world.  I can be as prepared as possible for the side effects of a storm, but I have absolutely no control over the storm itself.  Having oil lamps and jugs of water would not help me if a real tornado destroyed our home.  It is comforting to me to know that God is in control no matter what.  During the worst of the storm, I could only wait it out. When we acknowledge that we are not in control and trust that God has a plan, we are free to not worry.  Worrying and freaking out will only make matters worse.  I am so thankful that we were spared any real damage and no one got hurt. Maybe this weekend we will start cleaning up the fallen trees.  After I call a body shop...
We had a rough morning, but it is nice to be able to enjoy the beauty in the aftermath.

1 comment:

  1. Aw.. I'm so sorry you lost a turkey. We fared will over here on the other side of New Windsor. Our hail was not quite golf ball sized and it didn't last very long. The storm hit here about 8am. I had been in the garden planting some things until 7:45 when my daughter and I went around closing windows. Soon after, it got really really dark and the power went out... for about 6 hours, came on and went out again for another hour. It was a fun challenge fixing lunch without opening the fridge! We had salad (from the garden) fresh mixed dressing and tilapia fillets (okay, I opened the fridge and grabbed them quickly) cooked in coconut milk and veggie broth. We have a gas stove so I was able to do dishes (using water from the rain barrels) and cook.

    Stringmaker

    ReplyDelete