Pages

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Where Hugs Gets Disbudded and Chickens go to the Butcher













Sunday was an eventful day here at the farm. In the morning, we dropped off our first round of 6 meat chicks at the butchers. Compared to the other chicks their same age, we thought our birds were huge...until we saw the butchers chicks. Two weeks younger and at least double the weight of ours. Wow. We obviously did something wrong. Bert, the butcher, explained how his fattened up and we will try his suggestion for the 20 birds in the barn. We left after being told we could return to pick them up that same afternoon.









Later that morning we focused on the goats. Kisses, was originally a 4H project. She was then sold to the lady who sold her to us. When we bought her, we were given her registed papers. On the registration, was the name of the girl who raised Kisses. Turns out they live right down the street. I shot them off an email to say we now have Kisses should they ever want to come over. I also wanted to let them know that Kisses is a proud mama. They did indeed want to come, and not only did they visit, but they disbudded Hugs for us and saved us a vet visit. Disbudding is the act of burning the nubs where a goat's horns will grow. If burnt off when they are young, the horns wont grow. It sounds horrible, I know. I compare it to giving a baby a shot. The child will scream, the mother will turn away, but in the end it is better for that baby to have had the shot. Hugs screamed for a few seconds, but all was forgot when he was returned to the goat pen. If a goat is allowed to keep their horns, there is so much more potential for danger. Both to the goat and any people or animals near. Currently I have a huge bruise from where Jumpy hooked me on accident with her horn. Jackie is always getting her head and horns stuck in buckets. Since Hugs is a buck, there is ever so much more potential for danger. The does are much more docile, and a buck is super powerful. We returned him quickly to Kisses and he immediately started drinking. I like to think all is forgotten by now and he will be safer for it. Autumn (the original 4h raiser) and her mom Rebeccah brought a binder full of pictures of Kisses and Kisses's family. It was so neat to see what her twin and mom look like. Thank you Autumn and Rebeccah for sharing that bit of history with us.









We had several other visitors come by, and sold out of eggs all in a day. That afternoon, Hubby returned to the butcher to get the wrapped chickens. I think I squealed with delight. These are our first chickens raised on the farm. There is chicken in my fridge not from the grocery store. These chickens ate the bugs in my yard. I fed and watered them. Now they will feed me, and I couldnt be more excited! Hubby and I are having roast chicken tonight, should anyone want to join us...

1 comment: