Pages

Friday, May 24, 2013

Goat's Milk Ice Cream

With a surplus of fresh raw goats milk I am up for trying anything to use it up.  Last year I bought this ice cream maker on clearance at the end of summer.  I think maybe I paid $10?  Regardless, it was super cheap and works like a charm.  I brought it to the family I nanny for thinking it would be a fun activity to do with the kids.  So while the baby napped, the older kids and I made ice cream.  Every five minutes I would hear "Can I eat the ice cream yet?"  How do you explain having to wait a few hours for it to freeze to a three year old?  After nap time we sampled the not-quite-frozen ice cream and declared it good!  We will definitely do this again soon as summer is quickly approaching.  For this round we made old fashioned vanilla.  Maybe next time we will try making a different flavor.  I know you can buy flavor mixes at Target, but to me that defeats the purpose.  I want to use whole ingredients without any additives.  This way we know exactly what goes into our ice cream.  Last night I sat on the porch swing enjoying the fruits of our labor.  I topped the ice cream with strawberry jam I had made for my sister's wedding.  As the three year old says "delicious!"


No comments:

Post a Comment